Planning to elope in the Finger Lakes, but don’t know what to do afterward? We’ve got you covered. As locals here in the Finger Lakes, we know all the best things to do to celebrate being newlyweds! In our opinion, the Finger Lakes is heavily underrated, and there’s just so much to do in our region. To give you some (fantastic) ideas, we put together 5 things to do after your Finger Lakes elopement.
Go on a Winery/Brewery Tour
If you’re a lover of wine or just want to experience what the Finger Lakes has to offer, we recommend booking a winery or brewery tour! Because of the soil we have in the NY region, we’re known for our delicious, sweet wines. So if you’re a fan of dry wines, you might have a little more trouble finding ones that fit your taste.
Choose one of our 11 lakes for your wine/brewery tour, as each one has something unique to offer. To learn a little more about our favorites, you can read our Ultimate Guide to Eloping in the Finger Lakes blog post. That should give you some more insight to help you decide which one(s) you want to tour!
Once you’ve decided on your lake of choice, figure out if you want to find a designated driver, hire a limo service, or book a tour at Finger Lakes Winery Tours. The choice is totally up to you, but FLWT offers a variety of different transportation options to make it easier for you. After you make that decision, be sure to book your reservation as soon as you can.
When you’re actually on your winery/brewery tour, don’t forget to bring a camera! You’ll want to document as many memories as you can as newlyweds. And most importantly, HAVE FUN! From informational wine tours to just getting your drink on, you can find it all at the hundreds of wineries located around the Finger Lakes.
Hike a Trail, Waterfall, or Gorge
Along with amazing beer and to-die-for wine, the Finger Lakes is also filled with so much natural beauty. If you want to spend time in all of what Mother Nature has to offer here in the Finger Lakes, here are our top recommendations!
Visit Watkins Glen State Park – This is the oldest and most famous state park in all of the Finger Lakes. If you can believe it, there are 19 different waterfalls located in Watkins, all available for you and your partner to visit. If you’re the adventurous type and want to enjoy a scenic, breathtaking hike, be sure to visit this state park!
Visit Ithaca Falls – Being one of our top elopement destinations for couples getting married in the Finger Lakes, we couldn’t not recommend Ithaca Falls. Considered a “secret” waterfall, Ithaca Falls is the region’s most powerful (and impressive) waterfall with a 150-foot drop.
Visit Ontario Pathways – This 23-mile recreational trail is open all year round from dawn to dusk daily. The trail is broken up into two different legs; the Canandaigua leg and the Phillips leg, both about 11 miles long. The latter will take you through Flint, Seneca Castle, and Orleans, ending your trek in Phelps!
Find an Immersive Stay
Looking for accommodations and an experience all in one? Well, the Finger Lakes has you covered! From a yurt to a lakefront property, you have plenty of options to choose from:
- Plum Point: One of the best things about Plum Point is that you can get married and have an unforgettable experience here. Their 8 acre property is home to 31 standard guest rooms and 6 “glamping” yurts for those of you wanting something a little more out of the box. This lakefront hideaway is located in Seneca, NY, right in the heart of the Finger Lakes
- Lincoln Hill Farms: This unique farm experience has events, festivals, and live music in the spring and summer for you and your partner to enjoy! Located in the picturesque countryside of Canandaigua, Lincoln Hill Farms sits on 80 whole acres of historic farmland. They also offer 11 uniquely decorated glamping sites for both you and your guests to stay at. Sounds pretty sweet, right?
- Airbnb: There are lots of different experiences you can find on Airbnb as well. For example, here you can find a cozy lakeside cabin on Seneca Lake, perfect for newlyweds wanting to extend their stay. Or if you’re looking for more of a cabin-type vibe, there’s a cute little secluded free-standing cabin located in Ithaca.
- Wine Trail Properties: On this website, you can find all of the available vacation rentals that are in the Finger Lakes depending on when you’re planning on visiting. From quaint cottages to luxurious condos, we know they’ll have something for everyone.
Rent a Boat and Enjoy Water Activities
Could you even leave the Finger Lakes without engaging in some sort of activities on the lake? We don’t think so! We have all the water sports you could think of, including skiing, tubing, and boating. Each lake has its own marina and rental shops:
Canandaigua Lake: German Brothers Marina
Owasco Lake: Owasco Marine
Seneca Lake: Roy’s Marina
Conesus Lake: Conesus Lake Boat Rentals
Keuka Lake: East Bluff Boat Harbor
Hemlock Lake: Invert Sports
Cayuga Lake: Cayuga Boat Rentals
Honeoye Lake: Trident Marine
Otisco Lake: Otisco Lake Marina
Skaneateles Lake: Skanmarina
Enjoy a Food Experience
The Finger Lakes offers restaurants that you can pull up to from a boat or on land. If you’re looking for an on-the-water fine dining experience or just looking for some yummy pub food, each lake has options! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Waterfront Restaurant & Bar overlooking Keuka Lake
- Seneca Harbor Station at the south end of Seneca Lake
- New York Kitchen in Canandaigua
5 Things To Do After Your Finger Lakes Elopement
We (Sara & Mark) hope you enjoyed our top 5 things to do after your Finger Lakes elopement. We’re so passionate about what the Finger Lakes has to offer, and we welcome everyone with open arms. If you have any questions feel free to fill out our contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.